I don’t often make butter cakes but I do LOVE a good butter cake, butter loves me so much, it turns into blubber and wraps itself around my hips and waist! It’s a love-hate relationship (my hate manifests when I need to fit into any outfit…hahaha)
I digress, this is a quick cake, hence we call it Quick Mix….boooyah!
Where this recipe comes from, I know not. My recipe book usually has the names of the ownersof the recipes written alongside. This one is a mystery. But who cares, it’s yours now. Write it down, keep it for forever!
I don’t have the best of ovens but this cake still comes out delicious. Alhamdulillah
(If you know the owner of this recipe, let me know so I can credit appropriately)
1/4 lb butter – 125g
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 & 3/4 cup cake flour
2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
*p.s. variations galore!! See some below*
Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and spray your baking tins with Spray n Cook or rub with tinglide.
Beat butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla essence. Alternate flour and milk beating well between each addition.
Pour into tins and bake.
We love it plain, sliced (we practically fight over the “end” slices) and dunked into tea. Yum!
– substitute the vanilla essence for lemon essence, add the zest of one lemon and as many black poppy seeds as you like
– colour it and bake a rainbow cake or marbled cake
– substitute 1/3 cup of flour for 1/3 cup of Cocoa for a chocolate cake
– add rose essence and chunks or Turkish delight for Turkish Delight version
– substitute 1/4 cup flour with 1/2 (yes half) cup of coconut and substitute vanilla essence for coconut essence (turn it up a notch by substituting milk with coconut milk, I have never tried it but I’m sure it’s doable!)
~ Fehmz ~